About Me

My photo
I am 44. I am married to the love of my life. Together we have two beautiful young adults who bring me joy everyday. In 2015 we added another beautiful young adult to our house, our niece, and she has been a great joy! Secretly, I'm counting the years till grandbabies start coming; they just need to find their forever loves first.

Monday, September 22, 2008

Pokemon Charizard Look-Alike Pattern

Pokemon Charizard Look-Alike
by Elizabeth Mareno 2007

Skill Level: Intermediate
Lots of Parts and Assembly Required

Finished Height 14"



**Disclaimer- This pattern has been tested by noone but me. And it has been a few months since I made this pattern up compared to when I'm publishing it, so if you find mistakes, please let me know so I can correct them! Thanks and Enjoy!**

Materials:
Caron Simply Soft Brites (Mango-full skein, Blue Mint-1/2 skein, Lemonade-1/2 skein)
Caron Simply Soft (White, Red, Black) small amounts of each
F hook
Fiberfill (alot)
Safety pin or other stitch marker
Large eye needle for finishing


BODY: Starting @ the bottom w/Mango
ch2
1- 6sc in 2nd ch from hook (6)
2- 2sc in each (12)
3- (sc in 1sc, 2sc in next) around (18)
4- (sc in 2sc, 2sc in next) around (24)
5- (sc in 3sc, 2sc in next) around (30)
6- (sc in 4sc, 2sc in next) around (36)
7- (sc in 5sc, 2sc in next) around (42)
8- (sc in 6sc, 2sc in next) around (48)
9- (sc in 7sc, 2sc in next) around (54)
10- sc in each around (54)
11- (sc in 8sc, 2sc in next) around (60)
12- sc
13- (sc in 9sc, 2sc in next) around (66)
14- sc
15- (sc in 10sc, 2sc in next) around (72)
16-22- sc in each
23- (sc in 10sc, sc dec) 6 times (66)
24-25- sc
26- (sc in 9sc, sc dec) 6 times (60)
27-28- sc
29- (sc in 8sc, sc dec) 6 times (54)
30-31- sc
32- (sc in 7sc, sc dec) 6 times (48)
33-34- sc
35- (sc in 6sc, sc dec) 6 times (42)
36-37- sc
38- (sc in 5sc, sc dec) 6 times (36)
39-40- sc
41- (sc in 4sc, sc dec) 6 times (30)
42-43- sc
44- (sc in 3sc, sc dec) 6 times (24) **Begin to Stuff and continue stuffing as you go**
45- (sc in 2sc, sc dec) 6 times (18)
46-50- sc in each. (18) Finish off and set aside.
**It will look like a wierd little bowling pin. But make sure to stuff it firmly. **


HEAD: starting @ back w/ Mango
ch2
1- 6sc in 2nd ch. (6)
2- 2 sc in each (12)
3- (sc in 1sc, 2sc in next) around (18)
4- (sc in 2sc, 2sc in next) around (24)
5- (sc in 3sc, 2sc in next) around (30)
6- (sc in 4sc, 2sc in next) around (36)
7- (sc in 5sc, 2sc in next) around (42)
8-10- sc in each
11- (sc in 5sc, sc dec) around (36)
12-13- sc
14- (sc in 4sc, sc dec) around (30)
15-16- sc
17- (sc in 3sc, sc dec) around (24)
18-19- sc
20- (sc in 2sc, sc dec) around (18)** Start stuffing and continue to stuff firmly as you go**
21-22- sc
23- (sc in 1sc, sc dec) around (12)
24-25- sc
26- (sc dec) around (6)
Cut, leave long end and sew front closed.

FOR NOSTRILS: Attach yarn to post of sc @ about row 25. (4sc around post, sl st over 2 posts to opposite side of nose, 4sc around next post) cut and weave ends.

JAW: with Mango
ch14
1- sc in 2nd ch and each across, ch1, turn(13)
2- sc dec, sc to last 2 sc, sc dec, ch1, turn (11)
3- sc, ch1, turn (11)
4- sc dec, sc to last 2sc, sc dec, ch1, turn (9)
5-10- repeat rows 3 and 4 three times (3)
11- sc, ch1, do not turn
12- working on sides, sc row ends, 3sc in corners on row 1, 2 sc in corner on row 11, join. Cut off and weave ends.
**Embroider bottom jaw teeth. Sew jaw to row 11 of Head.**


EYE: Make 2, with Mango
**LEFT EYE**
ch2
1- 4sc in 2nd ch (4)
2- sc in each (8)
3- (sc in 1sc, 2sc in next) (12)
4-7- ch1, turn, sc in 10sc.
**Row 7 is RS**
Cut leaving long end for assembly. Place over left eye side, sew on leaving a small opening and stuffing lightly. Once stuffed, sew remainder closed.

**RIGHT EYE**
Repeat as for left eye making row 6 RS.


EYEBALLS: Make 2
With black, follow eye through row 2, attach white, turn, sl st over 4sc, cut. sew one over each eye.


HORNS: make 2, sew to head behind eyes, With Mango
ch2
1- 5sc in 2nd ch. (5)
2- 2sc in each (10)
3-14- sc in each
15- 2 sc in each. (20) join. Cut. Stuff and sew on.

** Center head to body and sew on**


TAIL: Make 1 w/ Mango
ch2
1- 5sc in 2nd ch (5)
2- 2sc in each (10)
3-6- sc
7- (sc in 1sc, 2sc in next) around (15)
8-9- sc
10- (sc in 2sc, 2sc in next) around (20)
11-13- sc
14- (sc in 3sc, 2sc in next) around (25)
15-20- sc
21- (sc in 4sc, 2sc in next) around (30)
22-27- sc
28- (sc in 5sc, 2sc in next) around (35)
29- sc
30- (sc in 6sc, 2sc in next) around (40)
31- sc
** Cut long end, stuff firmly and sew to butt**

TAIL FLAME: w/ red
ch2
1- 6sc in 2nd ch (6)
2- 2 sc in each (12)
3- (sc in 1sc, 2sc in next) around (18)
4-6- sc
7-(sc in 1sc, sc dec) around (12) change to yellow, lightly stuff
8- sc
9- (sc dec) around (6)
10- (sc dec) 3 times. (3)
Cut. Leave long end. sew closed. Attach to tail tip.



TAIL/STOMACH PATCH: w/ yellow
ch2
1- 6 sc in 2nd ch (6)
2- 2sc in each (12)
3- (sc in 1sc, 2sc in next) around (18)
4- (sc in 2sc, 2sc in next) around (24)
5- (sc in 3sc, 2sc in next) around (30)
6- (sc in 4sc, 2sc in next) around (36)
7- (sc in 5sc, 2sc in next) around (42)
8- (sc in 6sc, 2sc in next) around (48)
9- (sc in 7sc, 2sc in next) around (54)
10- (sc in 8sc, 2sc in next) around (60)
11- (sc in 9sc, 2sc in next) around (66)
12- (sc in 10sc, 2sc in next) around (72)
13- (sc in 11sc, 2sc in next) around (80)
(RS) 14- sc in 26sc, leave rem undone.
15- ch3, turn, dc in 3sc, hdc in 4sc, sc in 10sc, hdc in 4sc, dc in 4sc. (26)
16- ch3, turn, dc in 2, hdc in 4, sc in 12, hdc in 4, dc in 3 (26)
17- ch2, turn, hdc in 3, sc in 18, hdc in 4
18- ch1, turn, sc dec, sc in 22, sc dec (24)
19- ch1, turn, sc
20- ch1, turn, sc dec, sc in 20, sc dec (22)
21- ch1, turn, sc
22- ch1, turn, sc dec, sc in 18, sc dec (20)
23- ch1, turn, sc dec, sc in 16, sc dec (18)
24- ch1, turn, sc dec, sc in 14, sc dec (16)
25-26- ch1, turn, sc
27- ch1, turn, sc dec, sc in 12, sc dec (14)
28-33- repeat rows 25-27, twice. (10)
34-48- ch1, turn, sc
49-ch1, turn, sc dec, sc in 6, sc dec (8)
50-55- ch1, turn, sc
56-62- repeat rows 49-55 once (6)
63- ch1, turn, sc dec, sc in 2, sc dec (4)
64- ch1, turn, sc
65- ch1, turn, (sc dec) twice. (2)
66- ch1, turn, sc dec. (1)
**Trim- ch1, sc on row ends (put 2sc in each ch3 and dc), sc in each sc, 3 sc in end. Join. (160sc)
**Sew on starting @ tail tip. Pin round piece to tummy to keep from shifting as you sew.
HIND LEGS: Make 2 w/ Mango
ch4
1- 3sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, 3 sc in last, (working opposite side of chain) sc in next ch, join. (8)
2- ch1, (2sc in 3sc, sc in next) repeat once, join (14)
3- ch1, [(sc in 1sc, 2sc in next) 3 times, sc in next] repeat once, join. (20)
4- ch1, sc, join.
5- ch1, [(sc in 2sc, 2sc in next) 3 times, sc in next] repeat once, join (26)
6- ch1, [(sc in 3sc, 2sc in next) 3 times, sc in next] repeat once, join (32)
7- ch1, sc, join.
8- ch1, (sc in 4sc, 2sc in next) twice, sc in 10, 2sc in next, (sc in 4sc, 2sc in next) once, sc in 6sc. (36)
9- ch1, sc in 7, 2sc in 2sc, sc in 16, 2sc in 2sc, sc in 9. join. (40)
10- ch1, sc, join.
11- ch1, sc in 7, 2sc in next, sc in 2sc, 2sc in next, sc in 16, 2sc in next, sc in 2sc, 2scin next, sc in 9. join (44)
12- ch1, sc, join
13-14- repeat row 12
15- ch1, (sc in 6sc, sc dec) 6 times, sc in last 4sc (39)
16- ch1, (sc in 5sc, sc dec) 6 times, sc in last 4sc (34)
**Sew to sides of body making sure to catch the edge of the tummy patch under the legs. Makes it look more authentic.**
WINGS: Make 4- 2 with Mango, 2 with Blue Mint
ch3
1- 2 hdc in 3rd ch from hook (3hdc)
2- ch2, turn, hdc in sm sp (inc made), hdc in next, 2 hdc in last (inc made) (5hdc)
3-5- ch2, turn, inc, hdc to last hdc, inc (11 hdc-row 5)
6- ch2, turn, hdc across (11)
7- ch2, turn, inc, hdc in rem (12)
8- ch2, turn, inc, hdc in to last hdc, inc (14)
9- ch2, turn, hdc in 12, inc (15)
10- ch2, turn, inc, hdc in rem (16)
11- ch2, turn, hdc across, ch10 (16hdc, 10ch)
12- hdc in 3rd ch and each ch and hdc across, inc in last (25)
13- ch2, turn, inc, hdc in 24 (do not hdc in ch2 from prev row) (26)
14- ch2, turn, hdc in 25, inc in last (27)
15- ch2, turn, inc, hdc in 26 (do not hdc in ch2 from prev row) (28)
16- ch2, turn, hdc in 27, inc (29)
17- ch2, turn, hdc in each (29)
18- ch1, turn, sc in 5, hdc, *(dc, trc,dtr,trc,dc) next st*, hdc in 2, sc in 2, (hdc, dc, hdc) next st, sc in 3, repeat * to*, hdc in 2, sc in 2, hdc in 2, dc in 2, trc in 2, dtrc in 2.
19- ch4, trc in sm sp and next, dc in 2, hdc in 2, sc in 2, sl st to join. Leave the rest undone. Cut and weave ends.
**ASSEMBLY of WINGS- take one orange and one blue, match shapes wrong sides together, then with orange/Mango hdc around outside edge with the orange piece facing you. 3 hdc in each corner. Sew to the upper back of the body, equally space over the tail. **
HIND FEET: Make 2 w/Mango
ch8
1- sc in 2nd ch from hook and next 6 ch, (working opp side of ch) sc in each ch. (14)
2- sc in each around
3- (sc in 1sc, 2sc in next) around (21)
4- (sc in 2sc, 2sc in next) around (28)
5-10- sc in each
11- (sc in 2sc, sc dec) around (21)
12- sc in each
13- (sc in 1sc, sc dec) around (14) Cut, Stuff and sew closed
TOENAILS: With white- make 3 for each foot
ch2
1- 5sc in 2nd ch (5)
2- sc in each
3- (sc in 1sc, 2sc in next) twice, sc in last (7)
4- sc in each.
Cut, leaving long end and sew on to feet.
**Sew only the closed end of the hind foot to the leg. The foot should be sort of floppy when it's attached.**
ARMS: Make 2
ch2
1- 6sc in 2nd ch (6)
2- 2sc in each (12)
3-14- sc in each.
Finish off. Leave long end for sewing and stuff.
FINGERS: with Orange- make 3 for each hand
ch5
1- sc in 2nd ch and next 3 (4)
2- ch1, turn, sc in 4. Cut orange, join white.
3- one or two sc on the very tip of the finger for the fingernail.
Cut and weave ends. Sew to the tip of the arm.
FANGS: with white, make 2
ch2
1- 4sc in 2nd ch. (4)
2- sc in each.
Cut and sew into mouth.
~I'm pretty sure all of the information is here. If I am missing anything, please let me know!~
Have fun!
Biz

39 comments:

Marietta said...

Hi, do you sell any of these on Etsy? I'd totally pay for one! My kids are totally into Pokemon, and *I* like to support people who do handwork (I'm a quilter).
-Marietta

Aurora said...

Well you don't know how happy you have made my son!! HE bugs me every day about your blog.....asking if you have put up more Pokemon patterns! Thanks so much for putting this awesome pattern up on your blog.

Aurora said...

Ah well AJ just asked me if you found the Onix pattern?

SooticasDream said...

I'm TOTALLy going to have a go at this.
Thank you SO much for sharing such a great pattern! ^____^

Biz said...

Thanks so much for the compliments! I really hope that you guys enjoy making him!

Marietta- Wow. I never thought of an Etsy shop. I don't currently sell any of the toys that I make. I just make them as gifts and post the patterns on my blog. But thank you for asking!

Aurora- What I did find is that I did not write my pattern down for Onix. I will have to make him again so that I can write him down. I think what happened was by the time I got to making him for Christmas last year, I was so sick of writing patterns that I just didn't. BUTTTT! I did write my pattern down for Lucario!! So as soon as I can get to my nephews and snag one for some pictures, I will post his pattern too. Will he be an ok substitute for now?

Aurora said...

LOL yes that would make him very happy....Thanks so much.

The Dixon Chick said...

I love it!!! Every since my son was little, Charizard was MY fav!!! I just may make it for me!!!

jessie said...

Wow! This is pretty darn cool! And I love Pokemon!

Wendy said...

I love this pattern, even if it is taking forever to make! There are so many pieces...but so far its coming out awesome. I love how you make the legs and especially the toes. I'll post a link to my finish product as soon as I finish.

Biz said...

LOL! Yeah, he is labor intensive! I'm so glad your having fun with him though!

I can't wait to see him done!

biz

first-mate-kate said...

I found your pattern through ravelry, and I think it's just AMAZING.

I find it funny how all these other people are saying they're making this for their kids... and I'm making this for myself. :) I'm 18, and I've been playing pokemon for ten years now!

Thanks for much for this awesome pattern. <3

Biz said...

Kate- My son will be so happy to hear that he's not alone! He's 12 and his sister gives him heck all the time about still being obsessed with Pokemon. He just can't help it, he loves them! Thanks for sharing your story!

biz

Archangel_Baw said...

OMG! NO WAY!!!!
My oldest som will FLIP over this ty so much I've been looking for a charizard pattern for years YOU SAVED MY LIFE and made my day:)

StinieKim said...

This is adorable! I've been trying to think of plushies to make for my baby cousins, but he told me he doesn't want "something girly like pikachu or jigglypuff". Thank goodness I found this pattern!

meep said...

i have a question! this is the first thing i've crochetted aside from blankets, scarves, and bad hats, and i can't tell the difference between when you say "around" than when you say "join". what am i supposed to do with the hind legs when it says join? do i join the last stitch of the row with the first stitch of that row and just sew up the weird gap?

Biz said...

Hi Meep.

Generally when I talk about crocheting around, I am usually referring to completing a row in the pattern that is written. When I say join, it specifically means that you should join, many times bringing together the object and hiding possible holes, etc. My usual join is to put a slip stitch into the first stitch of that row. Of course, after completing the pattern line.

I hope this helped you. Please let me know if I can explain anything else. And thanks so much for giving my pattern a try!

Biz

MarisaLynn said...

Hey! :D I'm currently crocheting this! (: Thank you so much for posting this pattern! It's a birthday present for one of my best friends. But I'm having trouble with the jaw. I don't quite understand how to do it. I've been crocheting for close to a year now, and I've done some confusing patterns, but I can usually always figure out what to do. But I just can't seem to do that with the jaw part of this pattern. Could you maybe try to explain it in a different way? :/ I think what confuses me the most are rows 4-10. Please and thank you so much for your help! (:

Biz said...

Hey MarisaLynn
Can you email me? It will be easier to answer you that way. Thanks!
Biz

Joy said...

Thank you so much for sharing this fantastic pattern! My son was really wanting a charizard, and I was so glad to find that ONE person on the Internet had created a crochet pattern for it! I wanted to let you know about a minor correction... In row 2 of the eyes, I think you mean "2sc in each", is that right?

He is almost done, I will post a picture when he is finished!

Nani2.0 said...

Oh ma gosh i love Pokemon ever since I was a little kid and I still do. I'm so happy that I can now combine two things that I love Pokemon and crochet :D Thank you sooo much :D

MarisaLynn said...

And I finished him! :D I think he looks wonderful! Thanks sooo much for posting this pattern! I made him for my friend Jared, and he absolutely loved him! :D Here's my finished project:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marisalynn25/5979972481/in/photostream
Aaaand...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marisalynn25/5980531002/in/photostream/
Thanks, once again! :D

Kim D said...

I am just doing this project right now & have found that 2 parts are abit hard for myself to understand! One were the eyes & how do i go about the right eye? Do i do 2 times of the rs? Or just the one on row 6? The second one was the jaw? I have bine crocheting for just over 3yrs now & this is the second teddy type i am now doing! I really need some help & any thing you can do to help me would be great. TY so very much for this pattern & look forward to having him all finished.

Biz said...

Hi Kim.

You make the right the same as the left eye. You are just going to make row 6 your rs instead of row 7. Essentially, popping what would have been the wrong side on the left eye out and making it the right side on the right eye so you can have a mirror image.

What was your question on the jaw?

Kim D said...

Thank you so very much for your info on the eyes. I did figure out how to do the jaw, lol. This is looking great so far? Thank you so very much for this great pattern!

LilDezzi said...

Aww how tall is he?

Maria Torres said...

So cute i want to make it for a friend :-)

Amanda Oates said...

Thanks so much for posting this pattern! I'm working on making him right now, and I also am having trouble with the jaw. I got the rows all figured out, but that part at the end where it says to sc down the sides? And to do 2 or 3 sc in the corners? That's the part I'm having trouble with. (To be completely honest, I work almost entirely with magic circles, so going back to straight crochet after a year of doing only circles was a little strange for me!)

Thanks again!

Pandy said...

Does anyone still follow this pattern? I need help

Biz said...

Hi Pandy, what can I help you with?

Pandy said...

I'm having a hard time with the legs. I can't seem to get the start of them right and it looks like a mess. Would you be willing to email me a pic or two of what it's supposed to look like?

Biz said...

Pandy, I don't have any pictures of that in particular, but I am willing to work something up tonight if you are able to wait till tomorrow? Please email me at bizzycrochet (at) hotmail (dot) com so that I can reply with pics and an explanation. Thanks! Biz


Melissa Schemenauer said...

Thanks for posting this great pattern! I have one question. Starting in round 12 in the body, you write to sc. Are you meaning to sc the entire round?

Biz said...

Hi Melissa, yep. When I don't have any other instructions with it, just go ahead and sc that row all the way around. :-)

Brendab said...

What is the sm space in the wing pattern?

Biz said...

Same space

Biz said...

Same space

Brendab said...

Thank you! Now it makes sense!!

ciara hayes said...

hiya i am actually stuck for the beginning of the hind legs and the beginning of the wings....can someone help in any way please?

Lul├╣ said...

Hello
Thank for pattern.

I'm sorry but I do not understand what mean for the wings :
hdc in sm sp (inc made), hdc in rem

help me please, thank you