About Me

My photo
I am 44. I am married to the love of my life. Together we have two beautiful young adults who bring me joy everyday. In 2015 we added another beautiful young adult to our house, our niece, and she has been a great joy! Secretly, I'm counting the years till grandbabies start coming; they just need to find their forever loves first.

Monday, November 07, 2011

Busy Weekend

I was like a woman obsessed this weekend. I was up late every night because I just had to do one more row, one more section, one more body part....it was insanity, I'm telling you. I feel like I got a lot accomplished. And it was a "chill out" weekend for us...snuggling in the house, watching Christmas movies and football. Perfect time to knit and crochet your little fingers to the bone.
I am S.T.R.U.G.G.L.I.N.G. to get into the Christmas mood. It is 60-70 degrees here every day. The only thing that has turned a color other than green is my yard. And that's only brown because it hasn't rained in a month! lol. Then I talk with family back home and its 21 and snowy there. BUT...regardless of my psychological inability to wrap my head around the impending holidays...I really do know Christmas is coming and I had better get to knitting if I'm going to get those felted slippers done for my nieces and nephews in time!
Here is the 'before' of my niece Emily's slippers. She likes purple and lime green this year. I used Patons 100% Wool. I called them the "elephantitis" slippers. They were just massive. Here's the pattern link: http://www.knittingatnoon.com/slipperpatt.html (pattern has directions for adults/kids/toddlers and two different sized cuffs)

I learned a couple of things. I will cast on less for the ankles of the ones for the kids. I am going to have to weave some ribbon at the base of the cuff so she can snug them up when she is wearing them. Her feet are 9" and I cast on the adult pair so that it would be long enough. You learn by your mistakes, though.
The other thing I learned was that I need to make sure I watch them REALLY close when they are felting. At first they weren't shrinking, but I only had one pair of old jeans in there. I threw two more pairs of Tony's work jeans in there and walked away thinking...eh...this will take a while. Oh Em Gee.....by the time I got back in there, 1 or 2 more minutes and these would have fit a 3 year old. I caught them when they were just a tad under where they needed to be so I spent some time stretching them to the length they needed to be. I stuffed them with balled up plastic bags to hold their shape. Then they dried for a day like that. I took the bags out and let them finish drying another day. They still feel slightly cool to the touch on the soles....man that wool takes a long time to dry. They are wonderful all except for the cuffs. I know what I'm going to change on the other kids slippers. The oldest is always the guinea pig...poor thing.
Then, I made some charity toys. I am helping a friend in Georgia, who is dealing with her own cancer, but is determined to bless needy families in her area. I started writing this blog after Stefani completed chemo, but for those of you that were around in the beginning, you may remember that the reason I even started a blog was because I wanted to share the patterns that I wrote for toys for kids. It was my way of paying back all that we were blessed with when Stefani was going through chemotherapy for ALL (Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia) from 2004-2006. I didn't have money to give, but I did have a talent...and that's what I used. :)
Plus, we are doing a Christmas box for our church and I was thinking of popping a chubby toy in there with the other goodies.
The upcoming pics are Lion Brand free patterns for amigurumi's. They are so cute and so easy to make.....I just can't tell you how fun they are. First up are Pig: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70589AD.html?noImages= and Frog: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70595AD.html?noImages=
I didn't use Wool Ease for these. I used what I had on hand and I think they turned out every bit as cute as the original patterns. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a stickler for toys that I make being "baby safe", so I didn't use buttons for the eyes like they suggested. I just embroidered their little eyes on. My frogs have a tendency to look cross-eyed for some reason. :-/
I used a blue instead of a purple. I like him better like this. Stefani named him "Beaver". Don't ask me what goes through that child's head....just don't.
I am developing a few new pieces to add to my toys in my Etsy store. Up first is Mr. Bunnykins. My daughter just can't get over how big his butt is.....

Next up is Henry Hoppsalot, who strangely resembles P.T. Flea from Disney's "A Bug's Life". Once again, cross-eyed.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Adorable creations. And I now feel a little bit better, because my animals tend to be cross-eyed as well. Good to know I'm not alone!

Kelli said...

Hello Biz. I wanted to let you know I linked to your blog today as I used your pattern to create a Pikachu for my granddaughter. It was my first amigurumi attempt and turned out a little rough but she loved it. Thank you for the pattern.
I love your newest creations posted here. Love the frog.
Thank you again.
Kelli