About Me

My photo
I am 45. I am married to the love of my life. Together we have two beautiful young adults who bring me joy everyday. In 2015 we added another beautiful young adult to our house, our niece, and she has been a great joy! Secretly, I'm counting the years till grandbabies start coming; they just need to find their forever loves first.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Let's Talk Project Bags

It seems I'm always a little late to show when it comes to the latest trends. Sometimes it's because I am rebelling against the latest hyped up band wagon, and sometimes it's just because I really don't have a clue how cool and useful something is. Today's project bag subject started out as the first and finished up as the second. 

There are SO MANY project bag creators and producers out there. If you are on IG (Instagram) for more than a minute, you will see someone who crafts project bags, or just bought a new project bag. Project bags have become a staple "prop" in IG pictures. When I started seeing them come across my feed I was not impressed. I thought "just one more fad that will do nothing but take up space in my already limited storage." So, I avoided all of the cute pictures of all the cute bags created by all the talented makers for as long as I could. I have a few favorite subjects; donuts, comic book characters, and woodland creatures. These also happen to be some of THE MOST POPULAR project bag subjects!! One day this really cute bag with really cute little woodland creatures showed up on my feed on sale, and he was including some free stitch markers with any purchase that day only. The next thing I knew, I had clicked on the link to his etsy page, and purchased the bag. I was suckered in by a sale...but, who among us can say this has never happened to them? I daresay very few!! LOL

(This little bag comes from Whimzee Stitches hailing from New Orleans, LA. Rick keeps a great stock of whimsical project bags and accessories on hand, and is constantly updating his shop.) 



Now, I owned this little bag. What was I going to do with it? One day I was in dire need of something to take along a small project to the Dr's office. I grabbed this bag and stuffed it with what I needed, and took it along. After that one use I was hooked, and now I use it constantly. Here, you see it in use for my mini frogs from last week's post. 







This next little bag is one someone made for me about two years ago, but I didn't know what to do with it so it sat in my stash unused. Once I started using the project bag I purchased, and after seeing a few other people on IG using the smaller bags for notions, etc, I went and dug this one out and started using it to hold all my notions and hooks. It's brilliant. I have everything I need in one spot. The fabric keeps the needles and scissors from poking through, I always know where the hook for my project is, and I can keep extra things in there like safety pins and stitch holders. AND it's small enough to fold up and tuck into my project bag!




I know that I need to start looking at getting myself some more project bags. They have more uses than just having a bag to haul your projects around in. They are also useful for those of us that have more than one WIP going on at the same time. If you have a project bag for each project, you can use it to safely store your item, your yarns, and your notions/instructions for each project. It won't float around your stash getting separated and forgotten. You won't come back to it a year later and wonder what in the world you were working on. You won't have to frog or throw out half done projects because you can't even remember what hook or needles you were using. For myself, my WIP's that don't get stored safely end up getting cannibalized for other projects. I want to purchase more project bags to store my WIP's in. Here's a woodland animals camping scene small project bag that I would like to get.  And a Star Wars notions bag I also want. Just to name a few.

If you've been on the sidelines like I have about getting yourself a project bag because it seems like a senseless use of your yarn budget, I encourage you to try and think of it as an investment in your project. You will actually be taking better care of your fibers, be they organic or synthetic, therefore making it a wise investment!

Happy shopping! 



No comments: