About Me

My photo
I am 44. I am married to the love of my life. Together we have two beautiful young adults who bring me joy everyday. In 2015 we added another beautiful young adult to our house, our niece, and she has been a great joy! Secretly, I'm counting the years till grandbabies start coming; they just need to find their forever loves first.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Crock-Pot Southwest Chicken and Rice

This is my own 'concoction' recipe. Came up with it a few weeks ago and discovered that I wrote it down in my journal! Of all things! Well, I decided today to make it again AND to share the recipe with you cuz its really good!

Crockpot Southwest Chicken and Rice
by Elizabeth Mareno



Serves 4-6
1 Large container chicken broth (160z) -although a 14oz can will do fine too.
1 Can mixed corn (southwest style with peppers) drained
1 Can black beans rinsed and drained
1 Can diced tomatoes- do not drain.
4-6 slices of jalapeno- finely chopped (i use more depending on how spicy i want it)
1 small onion chopped
1 Tbsp minced garlic (yes its a tablespoon, not a teaspoon!)
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
2/3 C rice
4-5 Chicken breasts- frozen

-In crockpot mix all ingredients except the rice and chicken.

-If you have a large oblong crockpot lay the frozen chicken on top of the mixture. If you have a deep crockpot, wedge the chicken into the mixture so that each piece is in the liquid.

-Cook on High for 3-1/2 to 4 hours, put rice into crockpot one hour before its done.
If you like your rice very mushy and porridge-like, add the rice right away with the rest of the ingredients. We've had it both ways and its very good.

-Serve with tortilla chips and cheese and sour cream!

**This recipe would also be great with leftovers and minute rice on the stovetop!

2 comments:

Misty said...

yay, you stopped by again! you should write a list of stuff about you so i can see just how much we have in common, nudge nudge wink wink. :)
your recipe looks awesome. i'm hating that i gave away my crock pit. i really rarely used it, but i'm finding time to not be in large quantities these days... anyway, have a great week!!!

Aurora said...

sounds yummy