.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sunburst!! (A Sun Hat Pattern for Adults)

I have had quite a few requests for an adult sun hat. I hope this is what ya'll are looking for. :) It's only 26 rows and works up in an afternoon or less, depending on speedy you are.
Thanks to my model, Riley.

Cotton Sun Hat
by Elizabeth Mareno, 2011

Supplies needed:
1 ball 4 ply WW cotton kitchen yarn
I hook
Large eye needle for finishing
this awesome pattern!! :)



View from the front.
Finished brim with reverse single crochet.




Lots of breathing room for your head.


Pretty sunburst on top.



Row 1: ch2, 8sc in 2nd ch from hook, do not join. (8sc)
Row 2: 2sc in each sc around (16sc)
Row 3: ch1, sc in join sp, (ch3, sk next sc, sc in next sc) 7times, ch3, sk next sc, sl st to 1st sc of row. (8sc, 8-ch3 sp)
Row 4: ch1, sc in join, (3sc in ch3 sp, sc in next sc) 7 times, 3sc in ch3, join to 1st sc (32sc)
Row 5: ch1, sc in join, sc in 2sc, 2sc in next, (sc in 3sc, 2sc in next) 7times, sl st to 1st sc. (40sc)
Row 6: ch1, sc in join, sc in 3sc, 2sc in next, (sc in 4sc, 2sc in next) 7 times, sl st to join (48sc)
Row 7: ch1, sc in join, (ch3, sk next 2sc, sc in next) 15 times, ch3, sk last 2sc, sl st to 1st sc to join. (16sc, 16-ch3 sp)
Row 8: ch1, sc in join, (3sc in ch3 sp, sc in next sc) 15 times, 3sc in last ch3 sp, join to 1st sc. (64sc)
Row 9: ch1, sc in join, sc in 6sc, 2sc in next, (sc in 7sc, 2sc in next) 7 times, join to 1st sc. (72sc)
Row 10: ch1, sc in join, sc in 7sc, 2sc in next, (sc in 8sc, 2sc in next) 7 times, join. (80sc)
Row 11: ch1, sc in join, sc in each sc around. (80sc)
Row 12: ch1, sc in join, (ch3, sk 3sc, sc in next) 19 times, ch3, join. (20sc, 20-ch3sp)
Row 13: sl st in first ch3 sp, ch1, sc in ch3 sp, (ch3, sc in next ch3 sp) 19 times, ch3, join to 1st sc. (20 ch3 sp)
Row 14-20: Repeat Row 13
Row 21: ch1, sc in join, (3sc in ch3 sp, sc in next sc) 19 times, 3sc in last ch3 sp. join. (80 sc)
Row 22: in Front Loops Only, ch1, sc in join, sc in next 8sc, 2sc in next, (sc in 9sc, 2sc in next) 7times, join. (88sc)
Row 23: in both loops, ch1, sc in join, sc in each sc around. (88sc)
Row 24: ch1, sc in join, sc in 9sc, 2sc in next, (sc in 10sc, 2sc in next) 7 times, join. (96sc)
Row 25: ch1, sc in join, sc in each sc. (96sc)
Row 26: ch1, reverse crochet in each around. Finish off.










18 comments:

  1. Very pretty. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are great. Thank you for being so prompt with my request.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you so much for the hat pattern. I appraciate you being prompt with my request.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. About how much yardage does this hat take? Is one of the "small" cotton balls enough? I'm ready to start on this one...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neesie,

    I don't know how many yards, I didn't measure. One cotton ball should be sufficient, with a little left over. If you have a question about it, though, you should purchase two balls just to be sure. Thanks for your question!
    Biz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Biz!
    It worked! I backed up several rows and did it right. It looks just like yours...well, almost. lol
    Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I am trying to make your Sunburst Hat and have a question for you. In Row 1, at the end it says, "do not join." In Row 2, it says to do 2sc in each sc around..okay, then in Row 3 it says, " sc in join sp." My question is when did it say to join it? I joined mine in Row 1 and so far it looks great, but when are you suppose to join it???

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should join after row 2. I missed putting that on the pattern. Sorry.
    It sounds like your method worked fine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your pattern. I use a lot of patterns but also make up some things. I've made similar, sometimes leaving off the brim. Even with them being "airy", they work fine as chemo caps, too, using a soft yarn. You can see one that I made (not from your pattern or any other) on http://netagenesnicethings.blogspot.com I just made it up as I made it. LOL! (And BTW, you put the apostrophe in the wrong place in the contraction for "you all". It goes between the "y" and the "all" because it takes the place of "ou". LOL! I'm 67, born and raised here in Alabama, also went to college in metro Tampa, FL and lived there about 30 years.) I'm enjoying perusing your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What size hook did you use? Also, I am a little confused about the joining. I read the comment about joining at the end of Row 2, but I'm used to chaining and turning. I am to understand this is to be done as a continuous round?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Netagene! I will catalog the correct spelling for y'all in my brain so I don't 'read' too much like a Northerner.

    Muriel- yes it's a continuous round. Just make sure you either count or mark the first stitch of your row so you know when to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Muriel it's an I hook

    ReplyDelete
  14. I lost all my hair, although not through chemo. They still haven't figured out why. But I am always looking for caps and scarves to protect my scalp when I go out. This is ideal - it's pretty and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made this hat and this is an awesome pattern! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a very cute hat. I no longer drive and I find the long waits for the bus really cook my head as the bus stops have no shelter. I wonder - do you think this hat would work OK with a wider brim? The Fresno, CA sun is blistering and temps in the summer are well over 100 deg F.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sandie, you could definitely give it a try. Do an extra row of increase before doing the reverse sc row. The rev sc helps to firm up the edge of the brim, so it may work. Let me know if you do that! I would love to hear about your results.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As for a longer brim, I added several more rows because of making my tighter it wasn't long enough. I just kept going in the pattern (increase one row and SC the next row) I added 6 more rows and it was exactly how I wanted it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Crafting Memories: Section 5 of the Memories Blanket CAL

     Crafting Memories: Section 5 of the Memories Blanket CAL Oh my gosh!! It's the last week of the Memories CAL already!! I can't ...