.

Sunday, December 01, 2013

Converse Slippers

The original pattern was written in Finnish. And Handimania posted a picture tutorial and some instructions on their website. (Update 2017: It looks like they have done a Google translate from the original Finnish since I originally translated this.) It took me most of a day, but I got it figured out.

I wrote the instructions down so that I could make them again and I'm sharing with you. 




Materials:
About 4 oz main color- WW yarn
About an ounce white- WW yarn
G hook
Large eye needle for weaving ends

With white-
Row 1- Ch 3, join to make a circle, ch2, 12dc in circle. Join with sl at to 1st dc. 
Row 2- ch2, 2dc in each dc around (24) join
Row 3- ch2, (1dc in 1dc, 2dc in next) around. Join (36)
Row 4- ch2, dc in each dc. (36) cut white, join with main color. 
Row 5-8- ch2, dc in each dc, join (36)

Tongue:
Row 9- ch3 (cts as dc), dc in 13 dc. Leave remaining unworked. 
Row 10-20- ch3, dc in each dc. Finish off. Weave end. 

Shoe: 
Row 9- rejoin with last dc of tongue with a ch3, dc across to the other side, dc in am sp as ch 3 from tongue. (24)
Row 10-12- ch3 (cts as dc), dc in sm sp (increase), dc in each across, 2dc in last dc (increase). 
Row 13- ch3, make increase, dc in 13dc, 2dc in next, dc in 14dc, increase in last dc. 
Row 14- ch3, dc in each
Row 15-17- repeat rows 10-12.
Row 18- ch3, increase, (dc in 9dc, 2dc in next) 3 times, dc in 7dc, increase in last. 

This is where you can customize the length. Try it on if you can. 22 rows gives you an 11-1/4" foot. 
Row 19-22- ch3, dc in each dc. 
Cut leaving a long end. Whip stitch your slipper end together. 

Shoe edging:
Join with slip stitch in the base of the tongue where you join for the shoe- ch1, 2sc in each row end around, sl st to join join space on opposite side. 

Ch1, turn, skip sl st, sc in each sc, join with sl st in sm sp as original join. Cut, weave in ends. 

Star circle:
Row 1- Ch 3, 12dc in 3rd ch from hook, join
Row 2- ch3, 2dc in each. (24)
Row 3- ch1, (sc in 1dc, 2sc in next) around. Join. (36)

Embroider with black. 

Shoelace:
With white
Ch 151, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each. 

Weave in and out like shoelaces in the big holes left on the side where you put sc in row ends. 


39 comments:

  1. Being a geek, must make in red...thank you so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that for women's sizes you may want to try them on after row 17 because they can go up kind of high on the ankle. If the height is high enough, then just do enough rows to reach the back of the foot without doing any increases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can't wait to make these slippers!! My SIL is going to LOVE them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:51 PM

    Thank you so much I tired following the other pattern you mentioned but it wow me down to th he point I gave up. I'm new at crocheting so I'm still learning the lingo lol. Yours was fairly easy. Thank you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I'm so glad it was easier for you! :-)

      Delete
  5. Your instructions are much easier to follow than the ones that were on the other site...i was having an awful time! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What does am mean in row 9 ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that's a typo. That should be 'sm' meaning same.

      Delete
  7. What does "Whip stitch your slipper end together." mean. I am lost at this step. Any help will be much appreciated, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.ehow.com/how_8669716_make-whip-stitch.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you could do a video tutorial? Can really read but i love to crochet and learn patterns best by watching. Look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What am I whip stiching together? I am lost at this step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ends of the slippers will be open in a straight edge. You will need to whip stitch the back end of the slipper together in order to make it an actual slipper.
      And just so you know, I have to approve any comments posted, so once is good. I will answer the question as soon as I can.

      Delete
  11. Got it! Make some much more sense now, thanks a bunch

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mine came out fantastic maybe you should show how the black edging for the star also thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought about that! I just wove some black yarn in and out of the stitches to make the edge. I'll have to post a picture of that! Thanks!

      Delete
  13. I hope this isn't being sent twice. I sent comment but then I had to sign in and it took me back to the comment page but my comment was no longer there.

    Can you tell me what size this pattern makes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an adult size. Can be medium women's to large men's sizes. The smaller sizes will just have the top wrap over their foot a little more.

      Delete
  14. I'm just learning how to read the patterns and I'm stuck on row 18. Can you please break it down a tad bit simpler for me? Thanx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Row 18- ch3, increase, (dc in 9dc, 2dc in next) 3 times, dc in 7dc, increase in last.
      - ch3, dc in same space as ch3, then dc in 9, 2dc in the next. Repeat the 9dc/2dc series two more times, then dc in 7dc and 2 dc in the last dc.

      Delete
  15. Thank you so much for taking the time to translate this pattern. All my family and friends and friends of friends want a pair and for that many I would never had the time to translate for myself. Again thank you do very much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry I also wanted to ask is there a way to make the sole skid resistant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trudie, there is a product you can get at most craft stores that applies to the bottom of the sock and when dry becomes anti-skid. I am not sure of the name, but a craft store employee should be able to tell you.

      Delete
  17. Thank you so much for this. I have been looking firver for a converse pattern for my husband. He has been begging me to crochet him a pair. You're so awesome for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know what a whip stitch is. What I don't know Is what exactly am I supposed to stitch together with them? If I fold back the edge, it's still just a straight, flat edge, albeit twice as thick. Can you maybe post a video of that? I've been experimenting with my 7/8 done piece and it just doesn't look like a shoe no matter what I try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The straight edge that is created when you bring the two corners together is the piece that you whip stitch. From the corners to the fold at the heel. That's all you put together. I don't make videos, I'm sorry.

      Delete
  19. Brilliant! It makes sense now! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much. My grandaughter wears nothing but converse and I have wanted to make these so bad but couldn't figure out those other instructions.mim so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I cant read pattern & the lingos. do u have a video I can follow along to? would love to make these 4 the older kids 4 xmas. ty

    ReplyDelete
  22. Annie, I'm sorry, but I don't have any video tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What is am and sm space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy- am is a typo. It was supposed to be sm which means 'same'

      Delete
  24. Hello want to thank you for the pattern but what is AM and SM space

    ReplyDelete
  25. I got everything for the slipper. I can't get the rest of the pattern for the shoe edging.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm stuck on the tongue? I changed color.I chained 9 the added 3 more chains..DC back on chain..only 12 dc...don't make sense to me

    ReplyDelete

Crafting Memories: Section 5 of the Memories Blanket CAL

     Crafting Memories: Section 5 of the Memories Blanket CAL Oh my gosh!! It's the last week of the Memories CAL already!! I can't ...