.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Corn Tortilla Recipe

Here's the corn tortilla recipe I promised awhile ago. It and I are finally in the same place at the same time.

Corn Tortilla's

1-1/2 C AP Flour
3/4 C Cornmeal (Fine or Coarse depending on the 'grit' you want)
1/2 tsp Salt
1 egg
2-1/4 C Very Cold Water

Beat till smooth.
Heat griddle @ 350 degrees
Ladle out 3 Tbsp of batter onto griddle and quickly spread out to about 6".
Turn when the edges are dry, not brown.
Place on a paper towel to cool.

**My experience with these was the the middle looked too gooey to turn, but the edges were dry. Don't pay attention to the middles, they will cook after you flip them. Some of them I overcooked, some of them were just right. They will feel a little stiff coming off of the griddle, but they will soften up and become pliable while cooling.

I made vegetarian refried beans mixed with black beans on the stovetop. I mashed the black beans down a little so that they weren't whole. Then I served with cheese, lettuce, black olives, and sour cream. Hubby likes onions and nobody likes tomatoes in our house...but you can serve with regular taco meat too. This is what we ate for tacos when I was a kid. It's super cheap to make and goes a looooong way!

2 comments:

  1. What is AP Flour? Is that the bag that says "MASA"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. AP is All Purpose Flour

    ReplyDelete

Crafting Memories: Section 5 of the Memories Blanket CAL

     Crafting Memories: Section 5 of the Memories Blanket CAL Oh my gosh!! It's the last week of the Memories CAL already!! I can't ...