About Me

My Photo
I am 43. I am married to the love of my life. Together we have two beautiful young adults who bring me joy everyday. Secretly, I'm counting the years till grandbabies start coming; they just need to find their forever loves first.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

NEW FREE- Irish Wave Baby Blanket

Good day, all!

This is the project that has had me consumed for several days now. I ran across this Pinterest post last week and pinned it. My cousin mentioned having trouble reading charts, so I offered to write it out for her. Once I started on it, and started posting pictures on Instagram people were going crazy over it. Imagine my surprise! lol 

I have even had several people in my personal Facebook life that have asked for the pattern. That has only served to spur me toward the finish line with this little beauty. 

The pattern itself is so simple, and memorize-able (word?), that you can allow yourself to have fun with it after you get the hang of it. I will tell you this, though, when you are zipping along throwing all your trc clusters in there, remember you always need three in the center. I made the mistake several times of not really watching what I was doing and had to rip out a couple rows in order to correct it. I typically love to "hide" my mistakes instead of ripping out, but you simply can't hide a missing trc cluster. lol. 

The finished size of the baby blanket is approximately 46" x 32". Very generous for a baby blanket, and if you use the "soft" yarns, it is like a warm, squishy cloud. 


Corrections: For those that picked the pattern up before May 12, 2014: 
There is an error in Row 1. There should only be one ch2,  sk 6, sc in next stitch, ch2,  sk 6 between trc clusters. I put my asterisk in the wrong spot. 

And "sm" space, stands for "Same Space"






One of the many beautiful things about this particular pattern is that you don't have to put a border on it when you're done, unless you want to. I chose not to, because the sides sort of finish themselves off. Plus, there is so much movement going on inside the bulk of the blanket, I didn't want anything to take away from it's beauty, or make it an eyesore.  I hope you enjoy this pattern!

16 comments:

homeschooljewelrymom said...

Thank you for deciphering the chart :-) I'm really bad at reading those. It's very pretty.

chris Lafargue-Bonet said...

I'll be totally against general current and thank you for posting the link to the chart, lol.
Love your color work, just beautiful.

Biz said...

Lol You're welcome. I didn't feel like I could rightly claim this as my own. :-) thanks for the compliment. :-)

Christine said...

Quick question, I rarely use stitch markers for crochet, but it looks like this pattern needs them. Where did you place your stitch markers for this pattern?

Biz said...

Hi Christine, I didn't use any stitch markers. Once you get the first row done after your base row, you spend all of your time counting because you are constantly skipping 6 stitches. And once you have the pattern established-it never varies.

Christine said...

Oops! I must have read the pattern wrong. I read ch5, trc in sm space" and assumed sm = stitch marker. My bad. Thanks!

LaQuita said...

I'm having trouble with the beginning. What sm space do you put the first trc in?

Biz said...

Hi LaQuita- sm means 'same'. So same space.

LaQuita said...

Ahhh well that makes sense!! Guess i spent too much time working in the sun! Thanks so much! I've been looking for the perfect baby blanket and this is it!!

LaQuita said...

Ahhh, now that makes sense! I must have worked out in the sun too long! I've been looking for months for the perfect baby blanket. Couldn't find one until I saw this one. Thanks so much!!

Fultzie said...

Hey there!
The pattern is absolutely beautiful, I can't wait to start it. I want to make a larger blanket though, not a baby blanket. How many multiples should I do?
For example, the last blanket I made told me to add multiples of 18 to the listed chain amount.

Biz said...

Hi! If my math is right, each wave is 14 stitches!

karen petrus said...

A lady at our local senior center asked me to make an afghan for a friend; we sat down to Ravelry and started browsing baby afghans but we didn't get past the second page. She saw your "Irish Wave" blanket and she told me to stop -- go no further -- that was the perfect one for her friend. I so totally agree -- it's lovely. I'm looking forwrd to working it up. [I swatched up a few rows to see what it would look like, and while i was orignally confused by the "sm", the minute the yarn hit the needles it was obvious what it meant -- sometimes our fingers know what our brains don't quite get at first. Thanks for the pattern :)

Biz said...

Thanks so much for using my pattern- I'm honored! :-) I would love to see pictures when you're done.

Biz

Mary Pai said...

Is it possible to email me this pattern...I downloaded it but i can't open it.

Biz said...

Mary, you need to contact me through my email address posted on the sidebar of my blog. Thanks!