.

Thursday, May 19, 2022

Happy Scrappy Quart Ice Cream Cover Pattern


 People are going to start thinking I'm addicted to ice cream. I'm really not. As a matter of fact, until I hit my late 40s ice cream was food I rarely ever thought about. I was not your typical "If there are chips or ice cream in the house I have to eat them" type of person. 

Then, my hormones changed and we'll leave it at that. 

So, I recently put out a Happy Scrappy Pint Cover Pattern as a way to burn through some of my cotton stash. (I swear those little balls of cotton sit in their container and breed when I'm not looking.) Well, when my husband was out getting ice cream recently, my flavor didn't come in a pint. I had to use a kitchen towel to wrap around it (because who uses a bowl??) as I ate what I wanted out of it. That inspired me to create today's free pattern. 

I knew I wanted it to be simple, bright, color-blocked, and have flowers. Here's what came out...





Happy Scrappy Quart Cover

Also available Ad-Free on Etsy, Ravelry,  and my Website.

By Elizabeth Mareno

Material:

Scrap balls of Worsted Weight Cotton yarn. (Sample used Drops Paris 100% Cotton)
Hook: #7/4.5 mm
Large eye needle for sewing ends

Gauge size: Bottom of cover should measure 3-1/2” across using WW yarn and a #7 hook

US Terminology

Abbreviations:

Ch- chain
sc- single crochet
hdc- half double crochet
dc- double crochet
tr- treble crochet
bpsc- back post single crochet
MR- Magic ring

NOTE: 

1- You can change colors and stripe wherever you would like.

2- It is helpful to have an empty/clean quart container for "fitting" purposes as you are working. 

3- Beginning chains do not count as stitches throughout. (ie, ch3, ch2) Unless otherwise stated.

4- This cover is meant to fit snugly on your quart container. The bottom ridge is meant to be on the underside as you can see in the picture below. 



Pattern:

Bottom:

Rd1- MR, ch3, 16dc in ring, join with 1st dc. (16dc)

Rd2- ch3, 2sc in each st, join with 1st dc. (32dc)

Rd3- ch3, (dc, 2dc in next) around, join with 1st dc. (48dc)

Sides:

Rd4- ch1, bpsc around each dc, join with 1st sc. (48 bpsc)

Rd5- ch2, dc in join and each sc around, join with 1st dc. (48dc)

Rd6-14- Stripe as you like, ch2, dc in join and each dc around, join with 1st dc. (48dc) 

After Rd 14- cut and weave ends. 


Finishing:

Lines between colors: top stitch using a sl st in the tops of dc's between stripes. Make sure you keep your line color inside the cover and pull through to the front. Commence with sl stitching in the top of each stitch around. 


Flowers: Uses two colors;  A and B. Make as many as you wish- the sample has 2.

Rd 1: With color A, MR, ch1, 10 sc in the ring, pull snug and join with 1st sc. (10sc) cut color

Rd 2: With color B, join in join with ch2, in the same space- dc and tr, in the next sp- tr, dc, ch2, sl st, *sl st in next st, (ch2, dc, tr) in same st, (tr, dc, ch2, sl st) in next st; repeat from * 3 more times, cut color leaving a long end for sewing to the cover. (5 petals)


I hope you enjoy today's free pattern!

Happy Crocheting!
Biz

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Groundkeeper's Hut Crochet Pattern - Part 5 - Decorations

  🌿✨ Crafting Enchantment: Decorating Your Groundkeeper's Hut with Whimsical Wonders! 🎃🍄 Greetings, creators of magical things! As we...