.

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Eco-Friendly Reusable Crochet Patterns


a picture collage of reusable crocheted items.

 Hello everyone.

This week's theme is: "Reusing Helps Reducing"

picture of a cotton eraser for a whiteboard
Picture Credit: Bizzy Crochet

One day I was wiping my white board down with the cotton pad I had originally made to use as a kitchen scrub years and years ago. It never made it to my kitchen because I didn't like it for its original purpose. But, as I sat there wiping the erasible marker off I was thinking "Wow, that really gets the marker off easier than with the paper towel." Then, my nerdy brain thought- "I wonder if I should tell someone about how cotton pads get erasible marker off white boards really easy?" Haha! That's what got me started on this week's post. 

As I was looking up reusable kitchen pads that I could tell you about, I ran across a few blog posts about other reusable items directed at health and beauty products. I never really thought about how cotton balls become part of the landfill as well. So, I decided to really dig and see what I could find for reusable patterns. I hope that you find something intriguing that you would like to try. :)

Here's my Roundup. All of the patterns in this list are FREE!

1. Tawashi Pads and Scrubbers- these are great for many uses. They can be used in kitchens as scrubbers or in the bathroom as cotton pads for makeup removal, etc. They are perfect for including in a Mother's Day gift basket. PLUS, they are great for using up your scrap yarn!

Free Flower Tawashi Pattern by Cedar & Linn

picture of a crocheted flower wash pad
Picture Credit: Bizzy Crochet

Crochet Spiral Tawashi

picture of a spiral crocheted wash pad
Picture Credit: Bizzy Crochet

2. Sanitary Napkins- I love this one. It had never occurred to me to make my own, but, now that I have found this pattern- I'm planning to try these suckers out!

Sanitary Menstrual Maxi Pads by Stacy Clement-Kazimir

picture of a crocheted menstrual pad
Picture Credit: Stacy Clement-Kazimir 


2. Dishcloths- there are countless numbers of free patterns available for dishcloths available on the web. Here are a few of my favorites from my Stitch of the Week collection: 

Chicken Scratch Dishcloth by Bizzy

picture of a crocheted dishcloth with spiky stitches
Picture Credit: Bizzy Crochet

Almond Tiles Dishcloth by Bizzy

picture of a crocheted dishcloth with waves
Picture Credit: Bizzy Crochet

Rice Stitch Dishcloth by Bizzy

picture of a green and yellow dishcloth
Picture Credit: Bizzy Crochet

3. Face Cloths/Pads- Great for daily face care because they can be washed and used over and over again.

Reusable Cotton Rounds by NorthEastMama

picture of reusable cotton pads
Picture Credit: Northeast Mama.com 

Pineapple Cluster Facecloth by Bizzy

picture of a pile of colorful crocheted face cloths
Picture Credit: Bizzy Crochet

4. Soap Savers- Perfect to use with small soaps from hotels, or scraps leftover from larger bars. It helps your resources go even further and they are great for kids!

Slouchy Soap Saver Bag Pattern by Bizzy

picture of a crocheted ribbed soap saver
Picture Credit: Bizzy Crochet


Easy Crochet Soap Saver Pattern by Love Life Yarn

picture of a pineapple crocheted soap saver
Picture Credit: Bizzy Crochet



picture of a crocheted bunny soap saver
Picture Credit: Bizzy Crochet


5. Hot Pads- There are a billion hot pad patterns out there, but I'm just going to share my favorite one...The Magic Square Hotpad. Why? Because these have been around for generations. My grandmother taught me how to make these when I was little- and I'm now 50. They are amazing for using up scraps of everything. Some people are "purists" and say you can only use cotton because acrylic burns. Everything burns if it's by a flame. I have been using acrylic in my hot pads all the years I've been making them. They usually get all melted and flat after years and years of use. When they get gross, then I make new ones. I also give them as gifts to my family. I make them regularly so whenever a family member stops by and says they need new ones...well, here you go...

I suppose one could argue that when they are made out of acrylic they end up in a landfill somewhere. But, one could also argue that I kept all those little bits of acrylic out of the landfill for about 15 years longer than they would have been. Remember from my earlier eco-chat posts, I'm thinking about how I can impact today. 

Magic Square Hot Pad by Bizzy


picture of crocheted hot pads
Picture Credit: Bizzy Crochet

6. Last, but not least, Reusable Mop covers!- As a matter of fact, Mikey from Crochet Crowd, just posted about their reusable mop covers, so I am going to share those here. 

10" or 17" Swift Sweeper Cover by Red Heart/Yarnspirations

picture of a crocheted mop cover
Picture Credit: Red Heart


Alrighty, that's my roundup of reusable patterns. I hope you found something to inspire you! Remember, what we do today makes a difference for tomorrow!

                                  picture that says reusing helps reducing




No comments:

Post a Comment

Groundkeeper's Hut Crochet Pattern - Part 5 - Decorations

  🌿✨ Crafting Enchantment: Decorating Your Groundkeeper's Hut with Whimsical Wonders! 🎃🍄 Greetings, creators of magical things! As we...